Friday, June 6, 2008

Sex bombs

With the weekend on the way, I thought I'd lob a grenade into the blog in the form of this piece in New York Magazine by Philip Weiss. Helpfully, Weiss has already pulled the pin out, and I'm hoping that this post results in an explosion of discussion. 

The article concerns cheating, prompted as it was by the Elliot Spitzer scandal. Weiss examines infidelity through the prism of male desire, dragging out well-worn chestnuts about the differences in the sexual hardwiring of men and women. I'm being reductive here, but essentially Weiss seems to feel that men are genetically programmed to require sexual variety, while women aren't (so much, at least).

A posse of female writers at Slate have had a go at the piece, and you can check out some of their musings here. My own views I'll keep to myself for now, but I'd love to hear from anyone with an opinion about the Weiss piece and the idea of fundamental differences in male and female desire for sex and sexual variety. 

And really, how can you not have an opinion on this? Is the article offensive? Is it truthful? Is it both? Please discuss.

No comments: