Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Care for Cash

Last week I had the privilege of going to New York City to report on a conference for my trusty employer, a trip I had hoped would afford me the chance to blog all kinds of fascinating insights about that lovely burg. As it turned out, work kept me pretty busy, and while I did take a couple of decent-size hikes and took in a Mets game, I didn't get a chance to split any arrows.

Instead, I had to wait for the end of my trip for an unfortunate bit of inspiration. I had a bit of a medical emergency on the way through security for my flight back, an episode that landed me in a New Jersey hospital. It took me a while to fully realize what was going on, but once I did, the first thing I thought was - how much is this going to cost?

Indeed, it's one thing to compare the Canadian and American health care systems from a vantage point on the north side of the border, quite another to find yourself in the clutches of a system that's frightening and unknown to you. From the ambulance ride to all the various pokes with needles, I was acutely aware that a cash register was ringing up the various elements of my care. Terrified, I made sure they let me out of the hospital sooner than I think the doctors would have liked.

I have nothing but great things to say about the staff - the care was first rate and everyone from the emergency technicians to the nurses to the treating physician seemed to have my best interests at heart. And as it turns out, I believe my employer will probably cover all, if not most, of the cost of treatment.

But the experience was a window into what life must be like for the millions of Americans who either have inadequate insurance or none at all. I've always been a supporter of single-payer health care, and never more so than I am now. No one should be forced to opt out of the care they need for fear that it will drive them into poverty.

Actually, that raises another philosophical question, the answer to which I think tips in favour of universal care: If doctors are bound by the Hippocratic oath to do everything they can for a patient, and poverty is a root cause of innumerable health problems, isn't universal health care a must?

No comments: