Monday, April 6, 2009

Late Adopter, Twitter edition

Sometime in the mid-90s, the internet blew up and the masses gravitated to email. Sometime around 1998, I got my first email account.

Sometime around 2004, Facebook was created and, over the next few years, became an essential social tool for, I don't know, basically everyone. I still haven't gotten around to joining.

Sometime around 2002, the "faux-hawk" became fashionable. Sometime in late 2006, I got this haircut. And I still have it.

Point is, I've lived most of my life far from the cutting edge. But I'm proud to report that, as of last week, I am now on Twitter. This still makes me a late adopter, but at least I'm not as far behind as I was with the faux-hawk. 

I've been resistant to these social media tools because I've been concerned about privacy and private-public life separation. I'm now getting past this because I've realized that, whether I'm on Facebook or Twitter or not, someone I don't even know can snap a picture of me face-down in a ditch with a bottle of moonshine bleeding its contents away beside me (I call these events "Saturdays") and damage my credibility. So why be paranoid about something I already have no control over. Also, for work-related reasons, I really need to learn up on this stuff. 

So join me, if you will, on this exciting journey into a future you may have already discovered years ago. As a conscientious fellow-traveller, I promise not to post too many meaningless, I-am-taking-a-whiz-right-now-and-using-my-other-hand-to-tell-you-about-it Tweets. 

No comments: