Thursday, February 12, 2009

Judgement Day


We're told that judging people is bad, and for the most part it is. But honestly, is there a more pleasurable guilty pleasure than constructing an entire personality portrait of a stranger based only on superficial details?
And wouldn't those portraits, if they were backed up by more diligent research, prove to be quite accurate a good deal of the time?

This thought comes to me every time I pass the office of a coworker, who has pinned to his wall a basic black-on-white printout that reads, "Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

What human being that you'd want to spend more than 10 seconds with could possibly take any inspiration or solace from this vapid, shopworn cliche? I imagine that this person is a believer in The Secret, watches Dr. Phil on television and is a disciple of Anthony Robbins. And has never had an original thought in his life.

Of course, I've never met the guy. And I don't want to, lest he burst my judgement-bubble.

No comments: